Aristotle (384–322 BC) is arguably the most well-known ancient Greek philosopher of all time. After Plato’s death, Aristotle left Athens and became the tutor of Alexander the Great. Teaching a king had opened him many doors and opportunities, so later on he founded his own school in Athens – the Lyceum.
Aristotle is best known as the founder of formal logic. The philosopher’s goal was to come up with a universal process of reasoning that would help people be able to learn anything. Aristotle basically influenced almost all forms of knowledge. Some of his most important works include Nichomachean Ethics, Politics, Metaphysics, On the Soul, Poetics and Prior Analytics.
Aristotle quotes and writings have been passed down from generation to generation. Here are 20 Aristotle quotes to help you develop your personality:
Related post: 25 Socrates Quotes That Make Yourself Better Person
1. It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
2. Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.
3. Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others.
4. No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.
5. Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.
6. Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives – choice, not chance, determines your destiny.
7. No one would choose a friendless existence on condition of having all the other things in the world.
8. The high-minded man must care more for the truth than for what people think.
9. Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.
10. It is not enough to win a war; it is more important to organize the peace.
11. Anybody can become angry – that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way – that is not within everybody’s power and is not easy.
12. All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsions, habit, reason, passion, desire.
13. Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach.
14. Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.
15. Learning is not child’s play; we cannot learn without pain.
16. No notice is taken of a little evil, but when it increases it strikes the eye.
17. For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
18. The ultimate value of life depends upon awareness and the power of contemplation rather than upon mere survival.
19. It is of the nature of desire not to be satisfied, and most men live only for the gratification of it.
20. The most perfect political community is one in which the middle class is in control, and outnumbers both of the other classes.
Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable for our future. Support pyoflife.com from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.